Create a free blog on BlogSpot
Creating a blog is no more a difficult task for anyone now as there are loads of platforms and information regarding the creation of blogs. Creating a blog not only provides you a platform but also adds value to your profile and enhances your expressive power.
Likewise, you can expand your knowledge horizon and can make a decent living by earning from blogging as well. I have explained about the blogging platforms, advantages of blogging and ways to make money from blogs in my earlier blog articles. Not everyone can afford to start a WordPress blog and this article is for those who want to create a free blog on Blogspot.
Blogspot/ Blogger short introduction:
Blogspot/ Blogger is a free platform owned by Google where you can create your own blog for free. It was founded on August 23, 1999A. D. On a blogger, anyone having a Gmail account can create a free blog with the Blogspot sub-domain (example.blogspot.com). With a free blog on Blogspot, you can enjoy the following advantages:
✔️It is owned by Google, so your articles are safer than nowhere.
✔️It is easy to start a blog on Blogspot and publish your posts.
✔️Unlike other blogging platforms, you can enjoy the freedom of features and choices.
✔️You can earn money through Affiliate marketing and Google Adsense which is difficult in other platforms.
✔️You will get free storage, free bandwidth, and free hosting from Blogspot forever.
One major drawback of Blogspot is that you can’t have many plugins to explore more power of blogging. If you need enhanced features, then you need to add your own codes. However, you will find tons of free blogger themes that you can use to meet some drawbacks. Moreover, it is easy to customize a Blogspot blog and the best part, is free.
I also want to acknowledge that Blogspot is a common platform to learn and explore more about blogging for newbies. Within the next 5 minutes, you will be able to start your own free blog on Blogspot. So let’s begin with the tutorial.
Things to be considered to create a free blog on Blogspot:
The first and foremost thing you need to consider before you go through the process is a purpose. Why do you want to blog? What will be the topic? What are your content ideas and for whom are those contents for? You need to be clear about all these questions. Secondly, you must have a Gmail account. Without a Gmail account, you can’t set up your free blog on Blogspot.
Are you clear about your purpose and have a Gmail account? I will be walking you through the following steps in creating your first free blog on Blogspot.
Step 1: Creating a Blogger account.
Step 2: Choosing the blog name and theme.
Step 3: Knowing the blogger dashboard.
Step 4: Knowing the Post and page features.
Step 6: Creating your first Blogspot post and publishing it.
Step 7: Learning the Layout
Step 8: Learning the settings and setting up Blogger’s SEO
Step 9: Monetizing your Blogspot blog with Google Adsense.
Let’s start the step by step guide to set up a free blog on Blogspot.
✅ Step 1: Creating a Blogger Account
Go to Blogger.com where you will be welcomed by an attractive landing page which prompts you to start your free Blogspot blog.
On the top right, you can see the ‘sign in’ option. From there, sign in using your preferred Gmail account and you will land to your blogger creation page. On the bottom, click on the ‘Create New Blog’ tab.
As soon as you click on ‘Create New Blog’, you will be prompted to give your blog a Title (eg, Blog Meaning), Address (eg, blogmeaning.net) and Theme for your blog.
✅ Step 2: Choosing the Blog name and Theme
Give your preferred title (1), blog address (2), select your preferred theme (3) (you can always change later) and click on create a blog (4).
If you get an error message that the blog address is not available, that means the name has already been taken by someone else. So, try a different name until you get ✔️marked at your Address section. This is your blog address. That means, anyone who enters that name on an internet browser, can visit your blog. Try to make it short and simple. If you need help in choosing a good blog name, then refer to this article. Well done, you have successfully created your own free blog on Blogspot. Was that difficult? I hope not. Let’s go further.
✅ Step 3: Knowing the blogger dashboard
Before we enter into other sections, it is important to know the dashboard of the blogger to become less confused later. Most of the newbie bloggers get confused with a lot of options available on the blogger dashboard and make several mistakes. See the screenshot and go along with the details below to understand it better.
Here I have provided the details of every section that are marked by numbers:
1. Learn to travel: This is the name of your blog.
2. View Blog: This is the view blog section from where you can always see how your blog looks like if anyone browses your address.
3. Posts: This is the post section and from here, you can access all your blogger posts whether they are published or unpublished (draft).
4. Stats: This is the traffic statistics section. From here, you can see the volume of traffic your blog is getting, the traffic sources, traffic by countries, traffic by mobile or PC devices, per day or per month traffic, etc.
5. Comments: This is the comment section from where you can see who has commented on your blog. You will be able to moderate every comment and decide whether to publish or trash those comments.
6. Earnings: This is your earnings section and you can see how much you have made from Google Adsense.
8. Layout: From the layout section, you will be able to customize the arrangements of your blog.
9. Theme: From the theme section, you can always choose new themes, edit HTML of your theme or install your own theme for blogger. You can also see how your blog looks on mobile devices.
10. Settings: This is the important section of your blog where you can modify the basic settings, language settings, emails and Search engine optimization settings.
11. New Post: Using this option, you can create new articles or blog posts.
12. All labels: From here, you can sort out your articles according to different labels. Labels are the categories of your blog articles. For example, in a tech blog, labels can be Android, Windows, Apple, Tips and Tricks, Tutorials, etc.
13. Search bar: From here, you can easily find your desired post to edit or modify in the future.
✅ Step 4: Knowing the Post and page features
Before you create your first post and pages, let me dive you deeper into the features of the Post page. Whenever you click the option ‘New Post’ or ‘New page’, you will see the following screen on your browser window:
Let us go one by one with all the available options to understand better:
1. Title: This is the section where you enter your blog topic or main keyword. For example, “How to create a free blog on Blogspot?” is a blog title.
2. Compose/ Html: This section can be toggled to anyone. If you want to write in HTML, then select HTML but it is easy to type in directly in compose mode. You don’t need to learn coding anything.
3. Undo/ Redo: This section is used to Undo or Redo your actions.
4. Font: From here, you can select the font in which you want to write.
5. Text: From here, you can change the text size from smallest to largest or medium.
6. Heading: From this section, you can create headings, subheadings or minor headings as per your need (H1, H2, H3).
7. Font: In this section, you will find three options whether to Bold, Underline or Italicize a particular text on your page or post. You can also use the strikethrough option.
8. Color: From this tab, you can choose the font color or font background color to give the attractive design to your article.
9. Link: From this section, you can add a link to any of your text within your post. You can add both inbound or outbound links. However, if you are linking out to other domains, then check ‘open in new tab’ option to control your site’s bounce rate.
10: Media: In this section, you find three options of adding images, adding videos or symbols to your blog article. You can upload new images or use the existing one. Whenever you add images, don’t forget to give an alt tag to your image. To do this, just click the added image and on properties, you will find a place to give alt names. It is better to upload a video on Youtube and embed it to your blog article rather than directly uploading it to the post. That takes time and makes your site slow.
11. Jump break and alignment: From here, you can make page breaks and align your post-left, centered or right.
12. Bulleting: From here, you can directly give numbering to your list post without wasting much time on ranking each topic. Similarly, you can add bullets to your list.
13. Formatting: This tool is used to remove every kind of formatting your article already has. Click this only if you are sure to reformat the article. Formatting does not mean your article will be deleted, it only removes the features of your text.
14. Proofread: This tool allows you to proofread your content before you publish it. It does automatic machine-reading and shows you the grammar and language errors in your article. That way, you will be able to correct your mistakes and make your post standard.
15. Publish: This tool publishes your content and makes it live on the internet. After you have completed writing and proofreading it, click this button to publish your content.
16. Save: This option is used to save your article. If the article is in a draft/ unpublished mode you will see this option and if it is an already published post, you will see the ‘Update’ option.
17: Preview and Close: Using the preview option will let you see how your blog post or article or the particular page looks if it is published. So, it is better to preview it before you publish it.
18. Labels: Not to be confused with tags, this is the subcategory of your article. You can separate your categories by using commas. Don’t stuff keywords in this section assuming it as a tag section. Blogspot blogger doesn’t support tags feature. Tags don’t matter now to rank your article. Quality articles are those that always rank, but it takes time and patience.
19. Permalink: This is the section where you can see how your URL of the post looks like. Blogger automatically generates a permalink/ URL (eg; https://www.bestnepali.com/2019/02/blog-post[dot]html is a permalink) for your post or page. If you want another URL, then you can create your own permalink. I advise to keep it short for SEO matter. Just above this section, you can find the schedule option to schedule the publishing of your article at any date or time.
20: Options: From here, you can choose to allow or disallow comments on that particular post or page.
The central area is the text area where you type/ inserts your article. If you have used the Microsoft Word, then you won’t have to think a lot about all these tools available on blogger. Most of these tools on the free Blogspot blog are similar to the tools and options available on MS-Word.
Creating these three pages is essential before you launch your blog. People need to see what your blog is about and reading your articles, they might want to contact you. So, you need to also have a contact page on your menu.
Moreover, without having these pages on your blog, you won’t get Google Adsense approval. So, on your Blogspot blog, create all these three pages.
On the blogger dashboard, click on page >> create a new page. And on the title, type in “Contact us” and on the text area, give your contact details like Email id, Facebook page, Twitter age, linked profile link, and other details so that readers can easily connect with you.
Similarly, for about page, repeat the same process, enter the title as “About us” and write about your blog, your vision, your purposes, your background and other details that help your readers better understand you and your blog.
✅ Step 6: Creating your first Blogspot post and publishing it
Eager to write your first Blogspot post? Let’s do it. On your blogger dashboard, click on Post >>New Post. You will be taken to the writer window where you will create your article and publish it for the first time.
Firstly, in the title section, provide the title “What is Travel?”, Then start typing in your article.
Then, give a label to your article. After that, create a short custom permalink. Proofread and preview it once before you hit that Publish button.
Well done, we have successfully published our first blog post.
✅ Step 7: Learning the Layout
There are a lot of options in the Layout section of your bogger’s dashboard and these features available in the layout section differ according to themes. Different themes have different layouts. So, here I am going to discuss the basic blogger layout and its widgets that are common in every newly created blog with blogger themes. Head over to layout and you will find the following layout on the top of your browser.
1. Favicon: Here, you upload the favicon for your BlogSpot blog. It is simply a logo that appears in browsers and it represents the address of your blog. Having a favicon is significant due to its SEO aspect and also, your blog looks standard with your custom favicon. If you don’t upload one, you still have a blogger generated favicon.
Just see the favicons of all these three sites. The first one is the blog we just created and it has a Blogspot icon as its favicon. Now compare it with the other two. Favicon adds value to your blogs.
2. Header: The header section can be seen on top of your blog when you visit it with its address. You can add a text header or image header to make it look more beautiful. See the header image that I have used:
3. Subscription: You can add subscription widget on your blog so that your visitors can subscribe to your blog. That helps you get more customers, readers, and traffic to your blog. You can also send a daily newsletter to your email subscribers. Isn’t that a great way to interact and create conversions?
4. Page list: Using this widget, you can add your existing pages as a menu bar on the top of your Blogspot blog. This allows your visitors to clearly see and read your top pages. Click on the widget and add as many pages you want to display on your blog. You can even add external links. Arrange the order of the pages simply by dragging them.
You also need to check the visibility option in order to display the pages. See the screenshot below, how the page looks like after setting this widget.
Scroll down the layout option a little more and you will find more widgets as follows:
The featured post is that widget where you can show those articles that are important and must be read by your readers. So, you can use this widget and add the posts that you want them to be featured.
Blog posts widget is where and how your blog post appears and looks like. The popular posts widget shows only the most viewed articles of our website. Likewise, in the sidebar section, you can find ‘About me‘ widget where you can give a short bio about yourself. Archives show the list of your blog posts in chronological order so that your readers can easily sort out the new and old posts. However, you can also arrange the archive the other way.
Labels show the categories and subcategories that you have used in your blog posts. You can add some more gadgets and widgets from ‘Add a gadget’ option. But, in Blogger, the gadgets are very limited. So, you can only use the available one as you can’t download or upload plugins and tools like WordPress.
After you have edited your blogger layout, you must save arrangements else the changes will be lost.
I hope you can now go more deep into the Blogspot blog and use it for all your good purposes. Now, the main thing that has remained is Setting up your SEO and monetizing your blog. Without setting your SEO, you won’t be able to get traffic because your blog is still not visible to search engines like Google. Therefore, it is important to optimize your free Blogspot blog for search engine visibility.
This article has already been too long and the remaining steps are also in detail. So, I have split this topic into a series of multiple posts. Read them by following the links below:
Did you like what you just read? Please comment below if you have any confusion.